apple pie mookies
Makes approximately 34-38 mookies
- 1/2 cup salted butter, softened
- 1/2 cup brown sugar, packed
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 3/4 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1 large egg
- 1-1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1-1/4 cups all purpose flour
- 1/4 cup almond meal (if you don’t have or don’t want to use, add an extra 1/4 cup flour)
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp ground allspice
- 1/4 tsp ground ginger
- 1-1/2 cups old fashioned oats
- 1 cup tart apples, diced and peeled (like granny smith)
- 6 oz (1 cup) butterscotch chips
Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper.
Whisk together flour, almond meal, salt, baking soda, cinnamon, nutmeg, allspice, and ginger in a small bowl and set aside.
Place butter, and sugars into a mixing bowl and beat on medium speed until they are well combined.
Depending on how soft the butter is, it may take several minutes for the mix to come together.
Reduce speed to low. Add egg, applesauce, and vanilla and mix until combined. Beat for 1 minute on medium until well combined.
Add flour and spice mix and mix on medium until well combined and fluffier.
Mix in oats, apple pieces and butterscotch chips with mixer or by hand until well incorporated. Don’t fear, this dough is very moist.
Using a 1 1/2-inch ice cream scoop or 2 Tbs cookie scoop, drop dough onto baking sheets spacing about 2 inches apart. Using a fork, flatten the dough into a disk shape, they do not spread much.
Bake cookies until they just start to turn golden brown and just set, about 12 to 13 minutes. The centers will be fairly firm, like a cooked muffin, when done.